If you are ineligible to continue at the University (i.e. your result of session on your last academic review was “May Not Continue at University” or “Required to Withdraw”) and you wish to apply for reinstatement, you must submit a Reinstatement Request Form by the appropriate deadline.

We encourage you to reach out to your faculty office if you have any questions about your academics. Consult your faculty’s website for specific guidelines regarding the requirements for reinstatement. You may be asked to include some of the following information:

  • a summary of the relevant circumstances surrounding your academic situation during the last session attended
  • reasons for reinstatement at this time
  • reasons for selection of courses/program indicated
  • activities since last registered at the university, including all academic work

Reinstatement is not guaranteed. If you have questions or concerns regarding reinstatement, please contact the faculty office associated with your program(s) of interest.

Submitting a reinstatement application

  1. Complete the reinstatement application form. Please note the Faculties of Science and Engineering do not consider requests for reinstatement for the Spring/Summer session.
  2. Submit a Service Request in Mosaic and attach the completed form.
  3. Pay the $100 non-refundable reinstatement application fee to your McMaster student account. Your account will be charged accordingly.
  4. Your faculty office will follow up with the results of your request for reinstatement.

Submission deadlines

Fall/Winter Session – September Entry June 30
Spring/Summer Session – May Entry April 1
Spring/Summer Session – June Entry May 15
School of Nursing February 1
Faculty of Humanities July 15

What is the status of the reinstatement application?

Once your application is submitted and paid for, it is sent to the faculty office for their review. Once a decision is made, you will be notified at the email address you put on the application.

Can I apply for reinstatement to more than one program?

You can list more than one program on the reinstatement application if they are all within the same faculty. A separate application and fee are required for each faculty you apply to.


Guide to AwardSpring – Your scholarship and bursary platform

Guide to AwardSpring – Your scholarship and bursary platform Event

What is AwardSpring? The AwardSpring platform is where McMaster students go to find and apply for internal scholarship and bursary...

Your guide to applying for full-time OSAP

Your guide to applying for full-time OSAP Event

Are you eligible for full-time OSAP and need help applying? Then this guide is for you! Read on to learn...

Webinar: Help applying for OSAP

Webinar: Help applying for OSAP Event

Join Student Services for an online webinar that offers new students and their families, information and guidance on how to...

Intro to OSAP

Intro to OSAP Event

View our video tutorial above for the common practices on applying to OSAP. To calculate your course load, you can...