What is a McMaster Student ID card?
Your ID card identifies you as a McMaster University student: it displays your student number, name, photo, and contains an encoded magnetic strip. You will be able to use this card to obtain a variety of University services.
Please note: your card remains the property of McMaster University and if you cease to be a McMaster student, the card must be returned to the Office of the Registrar.
Why do I need one?
Your McMaster Photo ID identifies you as a McMaster University student and permits you access to services on campus or online. In addition, you must present your student card in the Registrar’s Office to make inquiries about your personal academic record.
McMaster student photo ID cards are required at all examinations as the method of identification.
- If you seat yourself at an exam without student ID cards may be required to withdraw from the exam.
- If you arrive without a student ID card, you will be required (before being seated) to obtain a single use verification for that exam only; a $30.00 fee applies. No extension of the examination will be permitted to compensate for any delay encountered to obtain a temporary ID.
- Identification such as the McMaster student ID is required when writing tests and exams online.
- Please reach out to your instructor if you have any concerns.
Where can I use my card on campus?
Library Card: The bar code on the card will enable you to borrow materials through the McMaster Library system and access the digital collections.
University Campus Store: Your card can be used as a charge card at the Campus Store.
Recreation Card: You can use your ID card to access the David Braley Athletic Centre. In addition, your ID card entitles you to the discounted McMaster student rate for admission to varsity sports competitions and for the purchase of additional services.
Hospitality Services: The McMaster student ID card is a meal card for those living in residence. Off-campus students may elect to put money on their card to be used at on-campus and select off-campus dining locations. Please contact Hospitality Services for more information.
How do I get one?
If you are a newly admitted student, you’ll need to upload a passport type photo (head shot) in the Mosaic Student Center > Personal Information > Demographics by July 15.
- Your student ID card is created after enrolment.
- Your first card is free of charge.
- Replacement cards cost $30 each.
- Student cards will be available for pick up near the end of August. More information will be communicated closer to the date.
Didn’t upload your photo by the deadline? Please do so as soon as possible.
To be considered acceptable, your uploaded photo must:
- Be recent and similar to a passport photo (head shot only, looking straight into the camera)
- Have a neutral or smiling expression
- Be in colour, in focus and of good quality (scanned photos of your driver’s license, passport or health card are not acceptable)
- Be on an uncluttered background and of you alone (no other people or animals permitted in photo)
- Not contain props (i.e. hats, sunglasses or graduation caps)
Maximum file size of your photo must be 3MB or less to be successfully uploaded.
Uploaded photos not meeting the above criteria will be deleted, resulting in delays in receiving your student card.
Photo troubleshooting tips
Having issues uploading?
- Check your file size. If your jpg image is too big, you will get a generic error message. The file should be less than 3MB in size. Try picking a different picture with a smaller file size or resize your image in Paint or Photoshop.
Photo upload button not active or you need to upload your photo again?
- Contact us through our online chat, available at the bottom right corner of any page on this website during operating hours. A button will appear that says “Chat with us now”. Connect with a Student Service Professional Monday to Thursday between 10am and 3:30pm. MAC our chatbot is available to assist you 24-7!
- Open the photo in a photo editing software and ‘save as’ a jpg file and make sure the size is less than 3 MB. Please do not simply rename the photo file from .jpeg to .jpg, this will not change the file format.
- Before uploading the photo, clear your browser cache and/or change browsers (Chrome, Firefox or Edge) to try again. If the above still doesn’t resolve the issue, Please send a screenshot of the error message to email@example.com.
Please note: During the month of July student card printing will be paused as we prepare student cards for the incoming class. If you urgently need a student card, please contact a Student Services Professional via the chat or by visiting the office (GH 108). We will return to on-demand printing of student card replacements in August.
What if it’s lost or stolen?
If your card is lost or stolen, report it immediately to the Student Services in Gilmour Hall 108 to have the card invalidated. Replacement cards can be created for a $30 fee.
If you have lost or damaged your card, you can request a new card by following the instructions below:
- Make a payment of $30 to your McMaster Student Account via online banking.
- Visit Student Services in Gilmour Hall 108 during our office hours to pick up your card.