Note: The following processes are for undergraduate students. If you are a graduate student, please visit this website for more information.
Types of name changes
Preferred name changes
You can add a preferred name in the Mosaic Student Center > Names section.
Please note: adding a preferred name does not change the legal name on file, but it does inform instructors for the class list.
Edits to names
Examples of minor edits:
- Capitalization: Mcmaster – McMaster
- Missing character: OSullivan – O’Sullivan
Legal name changes
Student record changes for gender diverse students
Students and alumni have a few options when managing the first name and gender on their student record and in Mosaic:
The McMaster student record and Microsoft 365 applications can be edited separately. A change to the student record is required to change the display name in Avenue2Learn.
Steps for an informal first name and/or gender marker change:
Please note that your privacy is respected throughout this process. You will not be asked to disclose the reason for this type of name/gender marker change. The Associate Registrar authenticates identity for the completion of government forms including OSAP, as required.
- Email the Associate Registrar, Student Services at email@example.com with your request for an informal first name/gender marker change form.
- Complete and sign the form including your desired first name and gender marker.
- Complete a Service Request in Mosaic and attach the completed form.
- The Associate Registrar will schedule a meeting with you in-person or via Teams video chat. The discussion will focus on your questions, possible challenges, and next steps in the process. (i.e. diplomas, tax forms, OSAP)
- Your completed form will be forwarded to the Assistant Registrar, Student Records and the Team Lead, Client Services UTS for processing
- You will receive an email within 5 business days when the name/gender marker have been updated in the system.
The updated information will be viewable by the McMaster community in the following locations on the McMaster student record and Mosaic student account:
- Mosaic student account
- Self-generated enrolment and financial letters in Mosaic
- Class rosters
- Microsoft 365 / Teams
- Email Assignment
- Active Directory
- Official and Unofficial Transcripts
- Diplomas and certificates
- + more
Have questions? Contact us through our online chat for assistance.