McMaster University offers an invigilation (proctor or supervision) service for students writing exams from other universities or institutions. Arrangements can be made individually by the student or through their home university or institution.
- Exams are scheduled Monday through Friday at 9:00am or 1:00pm.
- Exams cannot be scheduled on evenings, weekends or holidays.
- During the December and April examination period at McMaster University, exams can be scheduled during the following times:
- Monday to Saturday
- 9:00am, 12:30pm, 4:00pm or 7:30pm.
- 7:30pm exams must be completed by 10:00pm.
- Only written (paper) exams can be accommodated: computers or internet access are not available.
Examination Fee Information
- $110 per exam up to 3.5 hours in duration
- Exams that run longer than 3.5 hours are subject to an additional charge.
Exam Fee(s) must be paid at least 5 full business days prior to scheduled exam date(s). If Exam Fee(s) are not paid at least 5 full business days prior to scheduled exam date(s), we reserve the right to cancel your scheduled exam(s).
Example: If an exam is scheduled on Tuesday, payment needs to be made by the end of the business day on the previous Monday.
Scheduling an Exam
To schedule an exam at McMaster University, students must contact the Examination Office by sending an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- date exam is to be written
- preferred start time
- course being written
- home institution
Students are responsible for having their exams sent from their home university or institution to the following mailing address:
Office of the Registrar
Examination Office, Gilmour Hall 114
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, ON CANADA L8S 4L8
Please connect with the Examination Office for assistance:
- 905.525.9140 ext 24453
If an exam is cancelled 3 full business days before scheduled exam date, 50% of the exam fee will be refunded.
Example: If an exam is scheduled on Tuesday, the Examination Office needs to be notified of the cancellation by the end of the business day on the previous Wednesday.
If an exam is cancelled less than 3 full business days before scheduled exam date, 0% of the exam fee will be refunded.
An exam can be rescheduled subject to your institution’s policy. Submit requests in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 4 full business days prior to scheduled exam date to avoid a cancellation fee.
Example: If an exam is scheduled on Tuesday, the Examination Office needs to be notified of a rescheduling request by the end of the business day on the previous Tuesday.
Business Days and Hours
Monday – Friday
8:30 am – 4:00 pm