The chat will be closed in the afternoon of Thursday, August 20 for staff development and will re-open on Friday, August 21 from 10:30-12:30.
Having trouble getting through to us? We are currently experiencing high chat volumes. If the chat does not appear during operating hours, we are at capacity. Please try again later. Thank you for your patience.
RESP confirmation is only available once you are fully enrolled.
McMaster will normally only grant deferrals on offers of admission when there are special extenuating circumstances. Each case is evaluated on its own merit.
A request for deferral (to the subsequent Fall term) will be considered under the following circumstances:
- the student has accepted their undergraduate offer of admission to the university; and
- all conditions outlined in the Offer of Admission letter have been met; and
- the student is not intending to return to secondary school or attend another post-secondary institution during the deferral period.
How to submit a deferral request
Requests should be submitted by September 1 of the application year, outlining the reasons for the request.
Please note: if you have previously submitted a hard copy letter deferral request, you must submit again using the online form.
- Log in to your Mosaic applicant portal.
- Click on the “Defer My Admission to McMaster” tile:
- Fill out the application along with details of your reason for the request (250 words or less).
- Once submitted, the Admissions and Faculty Offices will review. The status of your request will be visible in Mosaic.
- Once a decision has been reached, you will receive an email indicating any next steps.
NOTE: If your deferral request is approved, you will automatically be deregistered from classes and refunded any monies paid. You will not have an opportunity to enrol in classes again until next Fall semester.