Temporary Resident Visa

If an out-of-country family member wishes to attend convocation and your country of origin requires a visa to enter Canada, your family member will need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for Visiting Family Members.

The family member must apply for a TRV from a Canadian consulate, embassy or high commission in the home country. See the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website for a list of visa offices.

Your family member will need the following supporting documents for his/her application:

  • A letter of invitation. This is a letter written by you inviting your family member to come and visit/attend convocation. Details about the information required in the letter of invitation are available on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.
  • A letter from McMaster’s Student Services department confirming you are a registered student and the anticipated completion date of your studies (for both undergraduate and graduate requests).
  • In some countries, a second variable may be required to prove the identity for the Visitor Visa to Canada. These variables may be a passport number, date of birth or identity number.
  • Please confirm with the appropriate agency issuing the Visa as to what they wish to use and provide that information to the Student Services department at McMaster, so that they may include it in the official letter. A complete name match with passport information and relationship to the student must be confirmed as well.

Check out what’s going on!