Academic Procession & Chancellor’s Procession
Hooding of graduands
The hooding of Doctoral and Masters graduands by their supervisors and advisors is an established practice at convocation. This practice affirms the unique character of graduate education: the close association of mentor and student. Hooding by supervisors is a fairly simple exercise and one which our students tell us they appreciate.
You must be part of the Academic or Chancellor’s Procession to hood a graduand. If your student(s) have requested you to hood them, please provide their name and degree being conferred when you register to join the Procession.
A diagram is available illustrating a graduand’s path across stage, and the location where they are hooded.
Academic dress must be worn by members of the Academic Procession or Chancellor’s Procession. Those who are unable to provide their own academic dress may borrow a black gown, hood and cap.
If you plan to borrow a gown and/or cap please arrive at least 45 minutes prior to the assembly time for each ceremony. You do not need to rent regalia or arrange this in advance; gowns, hoods and caps will be available for all ceremonies.
We invite all eligible members of the McMaster community to join the Academic Procession. Members must register in advance and also declare their intention to hood a graduate.
The Academic Procession will process into the Great Hall directly following the graduand procession. They are seated behind the Chancellor’s Procession. For marshaling and organization purposes, please report to Chorus Dressing Room (second floor) approximately 45 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
The following people are eligible to participate in the Academic Procession:
- McMaster University Faculty (including Chairs of Departments and Schools)
- Mohawk College Faculty (including Chairs of Departments and Schools)
- Conestoga College Faculty (including Chairs of Departments and Schools)
- McMaster University Officers
- Members of McMaster University Senate
- Members of McMaster University Board of Governors
- McMaster University Honorary Doctors
- Members of McMaster University Alumni Association Executive
- Representatives from McMaster University Student Governments
- McMaster University Professors Emeriti
- Trustees of McMaster University Divinity College
- Academic Visitors
The Chancellor’s Procession is the last group to process into the Great Hall. They are seated on stage, in front of the Academic Procession. For marshaling and organization purposes, please report to Meeting Room 1 approximately 45 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
The following people are eligible to participate in the Chancellor’s Procession:
- McMaster University Chancellor
- McMaster University Bedel
- McMaster University President & Vice-Chancellor
- McMaster University Honorary Degree Recipients
- McMaster University Faculty Award Winners
- McMaster University Provost, Vice-Presidents, Associate Vice-Presidents and Assistant Vice-Presidents
- McMaster University Deans, Associate Deans, Assistant Deans and Directors of Faculties and Schools
- McMaster University Chancellors and Presidents Emeriti
- McMaster University Alumni Association President
- McMaster University Board of Governors Chair
- McMaster University Secretary
- McMaster University Graduate Registrar
- McMaster University Registrar
- Mohawk College President, Vice-Presidents, Associate Vice-Presidents, Deans, Associate Deans, Directors, and Board of Governors Chair
- Conestoga College President, Vice-Presidents, Associate Vice-Presidents, Deans, Associate Deans, Directors, and Board of Governors Chair
- Civic Officials
For more information regarding the Academic Party or Chancellor’s Party, please contact us at email@example.com.
McMaster staff volunteers
For all those interested in volunteering at the convocation ceremonies, please fill out the volunteer survey.
The deadline to sign up for the May events is: Friday, May 6, 2022
The deadline to sign up for the June events is: Friday, May 27, 2022
Have questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.