Academic Procession & Chancellor’s Procession
Academic dress must be worn by members of the Academic Procession or Chancellor’s Procession. Those who are unable to provide their own academic dress may borrow a black gown, hood and cap, available from the Molson Canadian Studio at FirstOntarioPlace. If you plan to borrow a gown and/or cap please arrive at least 45 minutes prior to the assembly time for each ceremony. You do not need to rent regalia or arrange this in advance; gowns, hoods and caps will be available for all ceremonies.
The hooding of Doctoral and Masters graduands by their supervisors and advisors is an established practice at convocation. This practice affirms the unique character of graduate education: the close association of mentor and student. Hooding by supervisors is a fairly simple exercise and one which our students tell us they appreciate.
Please refer to the University’s Hooding at Convocation policy for information regarding the eligibility of faculty members to hood students. Please note that undergraduate students can only be hooded by the Registrar or a direct family member that holds academic appointment at McMaster.
You must be part of the Academic or Chancellor’s Procession to hood a graduand. If your student(s) have requested you to hood them, please provide their name and degree being conferred when you register to join the Procession.
A diagram is available illustrating a graduand’s path across stage, and the location where they are hooded.
If you plan to join the Academic or Chancellor’s Procession for Spring Convocations, please register at least two weeks before the ceremony. You can register for either Procession here.
For more information regarding the Academic Party or Chancellor’s Party, please contact us at (905) 525-9140 ext. 24386 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We invite all eligible members of the McMaster community to join the Academic Procession. Members must register in advance to join the Academic Procession, and also declare their intention to hood a graduate. The Academic Party will process into the Great Hall directly following the graduand procession. They are seated on stage, behind the Chancellor’s Procession. For marshalling and organization purposes, please report to Chorus Dressing Room (second floor) approximately 45 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
The following people are eligible to participate in the Academic Procession:
- McMaster University Faculty (including Chairs of Departments and Schools)
- Mohawk College Faculty (including Chairs of Departments and Schools)
- Conestoga College Faculty (including Chairs of Departments and Schools)
- McMaster University Officers
- Members of McMaster University Senate
- Members of McMaster University Board of Governors
- McMaster University Honorary Doctors
- Members of McMaster University Alumni Association Executive
- Representatives from McMaster University Student Governments
- McMaster University Professors Emeriti
- Trustees of McMaster University Divinity College
- Academic Visitors
The Chancellor’s Party is the last group to process into the Great Hall. They are seated on stage, in front of the Academic Procession. For marshalling and organization purposes, please report to Meeting Room 1 approximately 45 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
The following people are eligible to participate in the Chancellor’s Procession:
- McMaster University Chancellor
- McMaster University Bedel
- McMaster University President & Vice-Chancellor
- McMaster University Honorary Degree Recipients
- McMaster University Faculty Award Winners
- McMaster University Provost, Vice-Presidents, Associate Vice-Presidents and Assistant Vice-Presidents
- McMaster University Deans, Associate Deans, Assistant Deans and Directors of Faculties and Schools
- McMaster University Chancellors and Presidents Emeriti
- McMaster University Alumni Association President
- McMaster University Board of Governors Chair
- McMaster University Secretary
- McMaster University Graduate Registrar
- McMaster University Registrar
- Mohawk College President, Vice-Presidents, Associate Vice-Presidents, Deans, Associate Deans, Directors, and Board of Governors Chair
- Conestoga College President, Vice-Presidents, Associate Vice-Presidents, Deans, Associate Deans, Directors, and Board of Governors Chair
- Civic Officials
Please note that the University Photographer will be photographing the faculty members, senior management, special guests, dignitaries, and honorary degree recipients that are part of the Chancellor’s Party or President’s Party. These photos will be posted to the public McMaster Convocation Flickr site. If you have any concerns or questions, please contact us at (905) 525-9140 ext. 24386 or email@example.com.
Additional Convocation Information
For additional Convocation information refer to the Graduation Quick Links.
For any questions regarding the Academic Party or Chancellor’s Party, please contact (905) 525-9140 ext. 24386 or firstname.lastname@example.org.