On this page:
McMaster’s Convocation ceremonies take place at FirstOntario Concert Hall (formerly Hamilton Place), 1 Summers Lane, Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y3.
- Guests – enter through the main doors of the FirstOntarion Concert Hall.
- Students – enter through the Studio entrance on Summers Lane.
- Chancellor’s Procession and the President’s Party members enter through the Studio entrance on Summers Lane and proceed to Meeting Room 1.
- Academic Procession members enter through the Studio entrance on Summers Lane and proceed to the Chorus dressing rooms 201/202 (second floor).
The Spring 2017 ceremonies will occur on the following dates and times. Undergraduate students should consult 2017 Spring Convocation- Undergraduate Program Divisions Across Ceremonies; Graduate students should consult 2017 Spring Convocation-Division of Programs Across Ceremonies (Graduate Studies) for a breakdown of programs across their ceremonies.
The morning ceremonies start at 9:30 am and the afternoon ceremonies begin at 2:30 pm.
- IMPORTANT: Students must arrive one hour prior to the scheduled start of the ceremony
- The doors to the FirstOntario Concert Hall open at 8 am and 1 pm respectively.
- To facilitate marshaling and organization, members of the Academic Procession, Chancellor’s Procession, and President’s Party are asked to arrive no later than 45 minutes before the start of each ceremony.
- The academic processions will enter the Concert Hall approximately 20 minutes before each ceremony begins.
- Graduands must attend the ceremony assigned to their Faculty (see Convocation Dates).
For information on nearby hotels, bed & breakfasts, and other accommodations in Hamilton, visit the Tourism Hamilton website.
There is no formal “dress code” for convocation ceremonies, but we encourage Graduands and their guests to show respect for all participants of the ceremonies by dressing in attire that is no less formal than business casual. Undergraduate and Master’s level graduands will be wearing a black gown that fastens at the top and flows open, so you may wish to consider this when considering your clothing choice for the day. Lightly and brightly coloured shirts and blouses will provide the most contrast against the black gown which may be important to you for photo opportunities.
To be announced.
Top 10 Tips for Grads
- Allow time for parking.
- Account for traffic, there’s a large number of students and guests attending.
- Leave your bag/purse in coat check or with your guests.
- Arrive early, as your guests’ tickets “expire” at 9 am (morning) and 2 pm (afternoon).
- Know which ceremony your program is graduating at.
- Wear comfy shoes, it can be a long day spent on your feet.
- We have a live webcast of the ceremony online for guests who can’t make it.
- The PDF of the program is online in advance of the actual ceremony.
- Use #MacGrad2017 in all of your posts.
- HAVE FUN!